If regular cleaning is not undertaken, fats, oily deposits and fibrous particles can accumulate in kitchen extract systems, reducing air flow efficiency and producing a warm greasy environment for bacteria to grow.
These areas, if not professionally maintained, can quickly become a fire risk and can be a major cause of the spread of fire. Under certain circumstances, flame or very high temperatures can ignite the grease causing fire to spread rapidly through the duct. Therefore, it is of particular importance that grease extract systems are regularly inspected and cleaned as required, to ensure they do not pose a major potential fire risk at any time.
Failure to ensure regular cleaning of kitchen grease extract systems can invalidate Buildings Insurance cover. We are aware of many cases where insurers have refused to pay out on millions of Euros worth of claims following fires where the insured has not complied with the conditions of their buildings insurance policies regarding regular cleaning of the grease extract systems.